The Mindanao State University-College of Medicine (MSU-COM) is one of the state-owned universities in Mindanao that offers a Doctor of Medicine degree.
Apart from its remarkably good performance in physician licensure exams, MSU is also known for producing competent graduates. Added to that is the relatively very low tuition fee compared to other institutions.
MSU also was one of the first schools, which implemented the problem-based learning (PBL) method. It is also proud of its community medicine, which helps molds students to be compassionate practitioners in the future.
What are the requirements for application?
You would need to have the following to be able to apply:
- Evaluation Form from the College
- Transcript of Records, or Evaluation of Grades from the Registrar (for graduating student applicants)
- NMAT results (previous and/or latest)
- Application Fee of ₱500.00
- Two pieces 2×2 ID picture
- A good quality long brown envelope
What is the Evaluation Form from the College?
The evaluation form is a document containing the pre-med subjects required by the college. An applicant is not eligible to apply for the upcoming academic year without completing them.
The form is accomplished by the administrative officer based on the subjects reflected in the applicant’s transcript of records or evaluation of grades.
What are the required pre-med subjects?
In order for the applicant to be prepared for the study of medicine, the college has required the following pre-med subjects to be reflected in the transcript of records:
- Introduction to Biology / General Biology
- Developmental Biology
- General Genetics
- General Microbiology and Parasitology (combined or separate subjects)
- Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy and General Physiology / Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Chem 15 (General Chemistry)
- Chem 45 (Biochemistry)
- Physics 11 and 12 (Introductory Physics 1 and 2) / General Physics
- Math 17 (College Algebra & Trigonometry) / Math 2 (College Algebra) and Math 15 (Plane Trigonometry)
- Statistics 33 (Biostatistics) / Math 31 (Elementary Statistics) and Methods of Research
- English 1 (College English 1)
- English 3 (Oral Communication)
- General Psychology / Introduction to Psychology
- General Sociology / Introduction to Sociology
- General Anthropology / Introduction to Anthropology
My course is not anything related to biology and pre-med course, can I still apply?
Yes, provided you have completed at least a four-year bachelor degree and have taken up the pre-med subjects the college requires.
What is the minimum CGPA, GPA or GWA of the applicant in order to be considered for admission?
The GPA containing grades for the pre-med subjects are computed separately from your CGPA.
Technically speaking, only the grades for these subjects will affect your GPA standing in the application and a minimum GPA of 2.00 or better is desired.
However, low grades, INCs, and failures, even in non-required subjects, are also noted.
What is the minimum NMAT rating required by the college? When should I take the NMAT in order to apply?
For the NMAT, a minimum rating of 45% is necessary for application. However, it is advised that you get a high score since your NMAT will be compared to the scores of other applicants.
NMAT results have a validity of two years so within that time the applicant may apply. The latest NMAT result that the college accepts is from the examination scheduled on the October-November period of the year prior to your intended application.
When does the application period begin?
Usually the application period lasts for about a month beginning in mid-February to mid-March. This is why NMAT results from the March-April examination period of the current year are invalid, as applications are most likely closed by then.
How much is the tuition fee of the college?
The tuition fee is ₱12,000.00 per semester and does not include miscellaneous and other fees which are approximately ₱3,000.00 per semester also.
What scholarships are available to prospective students?
The college is a partner institution of the Department of Health (DOH) which offers the DOH Pre-service Scholarship Program to qualified and deserving students.
Where is the MSU – College of Medicine located? Where should I send my correspondences/documents to the college?
The MSU – College of Medicine is located at 1st St., Doña Juana Subdivision, Pala-o, 9200 Iligan City. While in Iligan, it is a constituent of the MSU Main Campus in Marawi City.
Source: MSU-COM Student Council